Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Herribone In Color Friend #Card


My challenge to myself when I got my demonstrator preorder supplies to the new catalog was come up with a card that used all 5 new In Colors. Bonus, I was able to work in the other truly new color - Smokey Slate, into the mix. The other colors in the refreshed color palette are returning In Colors from previous years and that was not my personal challenge. On that thought, so so so happy that Island Indigo is here to stay, Wisteria Wonder (who knew Sandy Liked purple, not me :-) and a few others. I will accept Island Indigo for now, as I call it, my poor mans substitute for Take with Teal. I am hoarding, yes hoarding, all of that for now. I am finally letting go of previously retired colors. I had been hanging on to them, to use for scrapbooking, to go with some of the retired DSP for my personal scrapbooking but truth be told, I was not really using it. I mostly use MDS and when I do paper scrapbooking I have enough to get by. Its my own pages and I am working on not being a perfectionist. All pages do not need to be little works of art. 

Boy did I digress.  Guess a good nights sleep and a little cortisone in my knees is what does a body good. 

In color card challenge, I had this wild thought probably inspired by something I saw in Pinterest of making a multicolored herringbone  pattern. Bling - thats my lightbulb flashing on over my head, why not do it using all the In Colors. Sure sure.  I figured out by running a dummy sheet through the herringbone folder how many rows in each color the finished size would be needed. Two looked good, four rows actually but let us just call it two as in two convex (embossed not debossed) rows.. I just made sure that my In Color scraps were much larger than two rows, needed to be about 5 rows long, not sure of the inches on that, to accommodate trimming later. 

Run your five colors thru your folder, separately, not at the same time. And that was another challenge to this project was normally you see some cute projects out there where they have pieced paper together, taped it all together and run it through the folder, but that would not work because I am not an engineer and could not figure out how to precut the paper to make that happen. So they all had to be completed separately. Trim, by hand, recommend craft knife (I used a scissors and the edges are a little rougher than I would like) down to the two rows of herringbone plus extra for putting it together, leaving your top and bottom rows with finished edges. I started from the top, and like I stated previous, leave some beyond your two finished rows for adhering. Take your top color, in my case I wanted Strawberry Slush on top, just cuz that is my favorite new In Color and I am out of that paper, AGAIN! On the section below your two rows is where you will adhere your next layer, with the cut finished edge. So I may not have made that too clear before, Cut only one edge, making sure all your finished edges are in the same direction and have the same embossed not debossed edges up. 

Tape down your next color with the herringbone edge onto the Slush (or some other) color. You should have four rows showing, two embossed (raised) and two debossed (recessed). Continue adhering layer together until you get to the bottom. Leave a finished edge for your bottom row. I cannot see it in the picture and I do not have the card with me as I type this but I believe I did adhere the colors to a base color for more stability as I did this. Adhere it all to your base project. Finish as desired. 

Do you think you are up to the challenge to try this technique. Send me your results if you do.

Thank you for stopping by, happy stamping, Sandy

Thank you for stopping by today!

Keep being creative, Sandy

No comments: